Monday, October 6, 2008

Design Walls



I finally finished my new design walls last week. I had only a piece of flannel pinned to the wall and when I needed a large quilt hung it was difficult to hold and the pins were ruining the paper underneath. I use my design wall to arrange and work off from when sewing pieces together. So I decided to purchase insulation board. After cutting to the correct size I taped the edges and then sprayed the writing so it would not show through. I used 2 layers of batting. The First layer I glued well and the second one was less as I figured it would not move. Then I covered with flannel (108") and hot glued it to the back. The first one is approx 7'x4' and the larger 7'x7' with a corner cut out as I live in an old house with dormer windows. I would lay in bed at night wondering 'how' I was going to handle a 7x7' and do it all in one piece. I removed my sewing machine and superquilter off from the long tables and arranged my cutting table which are almost the same height and placed the 2 sheets side by side. The final thing was putting the flannel on so I just bent the 3' piece over onto the 4' piece after putting the batting on and pinned and glued....Sound easy!!! it was cumbersome, but doable. The next question, how were we (hubby and I) going to tack it to the wall. I wanted it so it was easy to remove if I decided to. We took large metal washers and screwed them at the corners. Perfect!!! What you see on the wall are things in progress... Judy Laquidara BOM and this and that. I know there are several ways to do this but I would do this again as it worked very well and I am pleased with the result.

I seem to be living such a fast paced life that today I went outside this afternoon and took some pictures after cleaning my kitchen and bath. Saturday, it was cleaning the living room and bedroom and shampooing the rugs. I look at my schedule and it is so full that I am stressing, I feel overwhelmed at times. My office/study and quilt room are upstairs and provide a place of refuge for me. Our bedroom is down stairs (hubby never wanted to have to climb stairs). These two rooms are my sanctuary where I can de-stress...read, study, check my email....quilt a little. I work 2 days a week and with all the quilt groups and events going on it fills your calendar quick. Wednesday of this week Alex Anderson will be in the area for an all day meeting which is sponsored by Cote's of Lewiston. A group of us girls will be going and I am sure it will be a wonderful time to glean.
Need to quilt a little and then make supper for hubby and I.



4 comments:

SueR said...

I have a design wall that's about 8 x 12 feet. It's the rigid insulation, like Celotex, covered with a couple of flannel bed sheets and mounted to the wall with mirror hangers. A good idea for yours too, Margo, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

Beth French said...

Two design walls! That is terrific, you will use them well, I know. Thanks for sharing the how-to, Margo.

Zlaty said...

I don't have a design wall yet but I should make one! Yours look great! Good JOB! My sewing room is up stairs too and it has a sloppy ceiling like yours...but for the time being I moved downstairs on my dining table :),The reason for that is because we are painting the other room upstairs and that is going to be guest bedroom. Last Sunday I shampoo my carpets in the bath tub and it was chalanging..I wat to ask you how did you do it? Thank you!
Zlaty

Zlaty said...

Thank You Margo for your post on my blog! I did think of a shampooer, good to know! I am thinking of doing the Star BOM - your stars look great. I pick purples and green, too.
Zlaty