
What a wonderful day spent at the Alex Anderson Event sponsored by Cote’s Sewing & Fabric Center in Auburn at the Hilton Garden Inn. She is a representative of Bernina and they presented the new 830 Bernina sewing machine. Over 250 ladies (10 of my quilting buddies) gathered to hear her quilting journey as a young girl to hosting “Simply Quilts” on HGTV, to the Internet “The Quilt Show” with Alex and Ricky Tims co-hosting. She was such a joy as she shared her experiences and challenges of her years of getting to where she is today. In the morning meeting she talked about the traditional and artsy quilts and everything that is in between and where she fits. She made you feel so comfortable no matter if you were a new quilter or an experienced quilter like our friend, Koleen who has a quilt that will be entered in the Houston Quilt Market and out of 657 entries, they only pick 380 and she got picked to display. It will be judged also. The Quilt Market is actually 2 shows and will be displayed for around 6 weeks. It is for sale for $25,000. She received a blue ribbon last year at Maine Quilts. It is called "Rose Sampler Supreme'. People from all over the world attend and will pay big bucks. This is just an added note about a local gal we are proud of. Check out her website. She also has her own quilt patterns for sale plus other things.
There was a book signing of her recent book during lunch. The afternoon session was a question and answer period from different types of batting to fabrics that run to what machine does she use and the kinds that she owns. She is a Bernina gal. I appreciated the fact that if she did not know the answer she simply said so, and deals with problem areas as she goes in her quilting saying that she has no hard and fast answer on some things.
A cute little story she told and not sure if I can get it right but the gist of it is – when she was a young girl she had a wooden door and behind that door were alligators and she knew she had to always remember to close it tight because if she did not the alligators would get out and dance around her bed. Some years later she remembered this and wondered what would have happened if she had let the alligators out to dance. She asked the question is your alligator machine quilting, paper piecing, appliqué, traditional, artsy quilting. She said. ‘identify your alligator and dance with it’. Her mission in life is to bring people into their own path of discovery and what they find passion in doing in the world of quilting.
And of course, Cote’s had set up a small store with Bernina machines, cabinets and the new Bernina quilting frame and many of Alex’s books. I had $25 gift certificate I had won from their Pa. Quilt trip last winter. I purchased 3 charm packs ‘Wildflower Serenade’, 'Peace on Earth' and ‘Tiny Tidings’ by Moda.
And then it was off to Marden's where they had ‘Thimbleberries’ for $2.99 a yard. Everyone had the same idea so I decided ‘not today’ for me. Purchased some Christmas paper and on to home. Great Day!
There was a book signing of her recent book during lunch. The afternoon session was a question and answer period from different types of batting to fabrics that run to what machine does she use and the kinds that she owns. She is a Bernina gal. I appreciated the fact that if she did not know the answer she simply said so, and deals with problem areas as she goes in her quilting saying that she has no hard and fast answer on some things.
A cute little story she told and not sure if I can get it right but the gist of it is – when she was a young girl she had a wooden door and behind that door were alligators and she knew she had to always remember to close it tight because if she did not the alligators would get out and dance around her bed. Some years later she remembered this and wondered what would have happened if she had let the alligators out to dance. She asked the question is your alligator machine quilting, paper piecing, appliqué, traditional, artsy quilting. She said. ‘identify your alligator and dance with it’. Her mission in life is to bring people into their own path of discovery and what they find passion in doing in the world of quilting.
And of course, Cote’s had set up a small store with Bernina machines, cabinets and the new Bernina quilting frame and many of Alex’s books. I had $25 gift certificate I had won from their Pa. Quilt trip last winter. I purchased 3 charm packs ‘Wildflower Serenade’, 'Peace on Earth' and ‘Tiny Tidings’ by Moda.
And then it was off to Marden's where they had ‘Thimbleberries’ for $2.99 a yard. Everyone had the same idea so I decided ‘not today’ for me. Purchased some Christmas paper and on to home. Great Day!
3 comments:
Oh, how I love Alex Anderson! She seems so "real" on her show with Ricky Tims, and I listen to her podcast, too. Sounds like a wonderful day. Thanks for including the alligator story,we all need to dance with our alligators, don't we? Say, that sounds like a quilt!
I'm glad you had a fun day, Margo, I didn't realize it was a day long seminar. What did you think of the 830?
I am sooo jealous. I enjoyed her on Simply Quilts. Thanks for sharing. So, are you getting a new Bernina?
Post a Comment