Monday, April 28, 2008

Perfect Binding

I am teaching this technique at our quilt show this weekend. I have recently learned how to finish off a binding that you cannot tell where you start or end. It may have been around for a while and I am just finding it out. I put these pics together to help people see 'how' as I teach.

TO Begin: Sew binding onto quilt. Leave approximately 7" tail at beginning that is not sewn down. When ending binding leave enough so you can work comfortably when these two ends are sewn together. I left approximately 12" gap.

#1. Measure 6-7" of first tail and cut off

#2. Take the 2nd tail and butt ends together and fold back excess on itself.
Measure the width of your binding strips and cut the same width (I used 2 1/2").

#3. Make the cut IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE IT IS CUT THE WIDTH OF BINDING.
#4. Take the 1st tail and place WRONG SIDE up. Mark a 45 degree line.

Place on the 2nd tail that is RIGHT SIDE up as shown. Pin and Stitch.

SEW!! Perfect binding every time.
Trust this is helpful to you. If it is not clear please email me.

3 comments:

SueR said...

Great job, Margo! Gotta love it!

Patty said...

thanks for sharing this, I have saved the instruction

Anonymous said...

Good for you Margo! I know you will do well with your demo on Saturday - quilters will love it! Wished I had learned it a LONG TIME AGO - would've made life so much easier!!