I live on a small farm and my husband is away for a few days. There are mother's in-waiting and mother's with calves. So I am playing nursemaid right now. This one particular cow has hung on for a week waiting to birth. My husband checks her 2-3 times during the night. My son who lives about a mile away thought it would be this morning, but she is up again and we are just 'waiting'. I wonder if they get tired like we do?
BRQ is having a quilt show May 3rd and I have committed to putting some quilts in the show, plus teaching 'how to finish off a binding' with this new technique that I have learned.I washed and pressed a quilt that will be going into the show that I made for my husband, Richard so it would be ready and not be a last minute project. It needs a sleeve and name tag. I am 'in learning' as far as 'short arm quilting and I looked at it today remembered I was interested in getting it finished that I got happy and just quilted without being aware of continuity and the size of the meandering. It was so great that machine and tension, thread all seemed to be going smooth that I just kept stitching away. So I have a few places that could have been improved. I am trying to decide which way to hang it so the inperfections of quilting will not show. Now when you finish a quilt for a bed it really does not matter. But if you are hanging a quilt you want the best part to show. Women are going to carefully scrutinize every detail. And depending on the level of viewer of that quilter it will be judged accordingly. We forget to consider the skill of the creator. At least I am guilty of that. I need to always remember I had a began at some point and isn't it always a learning process. I know I do not have it all together yet.
It is a simple quilt as I think it is important to have basic quilts as well as well as highly skilled from those with beautiful artistry that are being done today. I always want to remember that loving hands made the quilt and the truth is I am better than some and not as good as others. I am a pianist and tell that to myself all the time. It is easy to be intimidated and not participate. We encourage the girls whatever their skill level that it is important to share it with others. In getting this label together I used a picture of my husband with his cows(pictured). I made it on the computer...but I see the color ink was not so great..also two tools I really like to remove threads etc. A surgical ripper and an eyebrow remover to pull out those stubborn threads.
My break has been long enough...so need to get back to work.
I had a fellow quilter send this quote. Something to ponder.
"Take too many pictures, laugh too much and love like you've never been 'hurt' because every 60 seconds you spend upset is a minute of happiness you'll never get back.
My saying is "The person that laughs LASTS"
No comments:
Post a Comment