Monday, November 17, 2008

Kieve Quilt Retreat

Early Saturday morning 20+ gals headed to Camp Kieve in Nobleboro for our annual Fall retreat. This is the lady that greeted us at 'The Learning Center' looking very studious with a dove perched on her shoulder. A dove represents peace and it was such a peaceful place shut away from everything to do the thing we enjoy. SEW!!I have always taken my big Janome 6500 to weekend retreats. But decided it was just too heavy and purchased this Janome 760 with table. It was wonderful...It has a great feature stop/sew on it and you do not use the foot peddle. It was great for the straight sewing I was doing.
I made strippy quilts. A design by Mary Johnson.These are quick and great for kids to toss around. Now to get them on my quilter before Christmas.

The other project I had was a panel 'Rob Pete' from Quiltsmart. We learned to do this in a workshop and I chose to do a runner with fall colors. Quiltsmart is a pre-printed pattern that you sew and turn and iron on your fabric. I will finish it off by appliquing by hand. You can also do a buttonhole stitch by hand or machine.

We have a wonderful design wall at Kieve that we all use to lay out what we are doing in different stages and the following 2 are the same pattern only different use of color. It is called "Winner's Bouquet'. This is Donna's done in black, white and red.

Ann's is done in Navy, red and light patterns. Amazing how different they look. Ann is pictured in the next quilt.

Ann did 2 quilts. This one is called BQ2. I really like this and will purchase. They are big pieces but it is very striking.

The next quilts are 'stack 'n whack' that several gals had started at a workshop. First one is Anne T.
This second 'stack 'n whack' is Joanne's.
Beth's is a smaller version using the left over pieces from her bigger stack 'n whack.
Elizabeth was doing this tree that will have her genealogy on it. She changed the pattern some and it was very nice and I am sure will be cherished.
This is Deni and Sherry working at their stations. Lots of laughter this weekend.
This is the main room with a fire place at the end. I sat in a chair after lunch, with my legs hanging over the side of the arm, just to enjoy the coziness and warmth and fell asleep. Could not believe it with all the noise. (smile)
This is a quilt done by Christa using the X-box ruler. It was very different and vibrant.
For the life of me I do not know who did this. Maybe one of the gals will let me know so I can give credit. Sorry..
Here we are leaving a wonderful weekend. I took more pics but some were dark and some were in the morning when we were in our jammie's, hair not done...you know how it is...not our best... Carolyn is pictured here...she worked on a picture quilt with musical note fabric around them. It was very nice but I did not get a picture. I am sure I have missed many but this is a sampling.




7 comments:

Patty said...

what gorgeous quilts !
I love the "Winner's Bouquet". Its amazing how the color differnces makes it look like a totally different pattern.
Beautiful work

Barb D said...

Thnaks Margo - the pictures are great!! Thank you also for NOT posting MY PICTURE - LOL Wasn't that a great weekend? You ready to do it again in March?

Marilyn said...

You have been a very busy lady! Looks like you ladies had a lovely time. I can tell you and your sister look so much alike--twins? from the post below. I am wanting to make my sister a quilt one of these days.

Barb said...

All the quilts are wonderful but do you know where I can find the pattern for the Family Tree? fivesons4barb@yahoo.com
Love your site

Candace said...

Lovely quilts. I have a 760 too, and I hope you enjoy yours. I like mine a lot.

SueR said...

I enjoyed seeing photos of the retreat very much, thanks for sharing. Looks like you accomplished a lot. I am intrigued with Christa's quilt, have been looking for the x-box ruler, but no luck yet.

Mary Johnson said...

I also have the Jem and like how easy it is to tote to HeartStrings sew-ins but I haven't seen the clear table - where did you purchase that?

Love the strippies!