Monday, September 15, 2008

Hydrangea - Spectaular View

Yesterday as my husband and I came from having lunch we drove through Hallowell and the most beautiful site of flowering Hydrangea were in full bloom. They stand in front of the cemetary bordering the road. Every year we enjoy them so thought you might like to see a spectacular sight. This morning the sun was shining after yesterday's rain so I decided to take a jaunt in early this morning as the sun was coming up and before I started my usual Monday cleaning and laundry.This is a picture of the row and of course I could no way get all of them. I took time to count and was surprised that their were 80 bushes. A company out of Massachusetts cuts them each year. You are fined if you are caught taking any. Below is a close up view. They are shrubs of the saxifrage family, with opposite usually serrate leaves and large showy clusters of white, blue or pink flowers. The color depends on the soil. These bushes do very well here in Maine and display a colorful array each year for us to behold.



2 comments:

SueR said...

Thanks for the show, Margo, they're glorious, aren't they!

Janette said...

Just stopped by.
Beautiful flowers and quilts!
WE are planning to go to Maine next summer...where should we start?